Making the conscious decision to quit drinking alcohol is a great first step toward healthy sober living. Whether you’ve been drinking for years or a few months, stopping alcohol use will help you face life’s ups and downs with a clearer mind and provide many physical and mental health benefits. Below are 25 reasons to give you the motivation to stop drinking alcohol.
- Alcohol is addictive.
- Alcohol is a depressant. While you may initially feel less stressed or happy, these feelings will eventually wear off, leaving you feeling sad or anxious.
- Drinking lowers your inhibitions and increases impulsivity, which can cause you to do something you will regret.
- Alcohol is expensive. Just think of all the money you could save if you stopped drinking.
- Drinking increases your chances of being involved in an accident, placing your life and that of others at risk.
- Alcohol takes a toll on your physical appearance. It can cause you to gain weight, damage your skin, weaken your hair, and make you appear older than you are.
- It can damage your relationships with others.
- By giving up alcohol, you will have to find new places to socialize in, other than a bar, which can open you up to new, exciting activities.
- No more alcohol means no more painful hangovers that leave you stuck in bed all day.
- Your quality of sleep will improve.
- Alcohol can lead to liver diseases such as hepatitis or even liver cirrhosis.
- It increases your risk of developing cancer.
- Despite popular belief, alcohol is bad for your heart.
- Alcohol can affect brain structure, affecting both short and long-term memory.
- You will have more energy.
- Alcohol can impact your performance at work or school.
- You will learn to be confident without alcohol.
- You will be able to remember your nights with friends without having to piece it together from photos posted online.
- Alcohol only masks problems, it doesn’t solve them. Sobriety can help you address them head-on.
- Alcohol takes control away from you.
- You may inspire others around you to take an honest look at their drinking habits.
- You will make new sober friends.
- Life is more fun sober.
- You’ll feel proud of making your well-being a priority.
- Alcohol can kill you.
If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction, Mountainside can help.
Click here or call (888) 833-4676 to speak with one of our addiction treatment experts.