The nation is going through one of the worst drug epidemics in recent years, and there have been countless stories about how parents have had to fight to get their children into addiction treatment. As the crisis grows, however, there have been a number of cases where adult children have had to begin the process of getting their parent into an addiction treatment program. Although it is no easy feat, helping an addicted parent while still maintaining the support and love needed to get them on the road to recovery is much like the approach taken with any loved one – family or friend – with a few caveats. Here are some tips to help accomplish this difficult task.
If you or a loved one is struggling with alcoholism or drug addiction, we are here to help. Reach out to Mountainside by calling 888 833 4676.
- Address the Issue at Hand. Addiction will not go away on its own, so try to help your parent sooner rather than later.
- Seek Professional Help. Before confronting your parent, find a professional who will help you navigate the addiction treatment process.
- Timing is Everything. Choose a time when your parent is likely to be sober to have a better conversation.
- Avoid Arguing. Don't make accusations or bring up painful memories. Instead, describe what you have noticed about your parent's behavior, and listen to what they have to say.
- Offer Help. Let your parent know they won't be alone in this process. Offer to help them find the right treatment program.
- Remember Your Own Well-Being. Talk to a professional who specializes in family therapy and addiction on a regular basis. You will learn how to cope - in a healthy way - with your parent's addiction.
Are You in a Toxic Relationship?
Who you surround yourself with can have a tremdendous impact on your overall well-being. Family Wellness clinician, Bruce Dechert is sharing how to spot when you are stuck in a toxic relationship and how to repair a fractured bond.
Facts You Should Know About Teen Marijuana Use
Marijuana is more socially acceptable than ever, but what impact is that having on teen marijuana use? Learn everything you need to know about the impact marijuana has on teens.