College Students & Alcohol Abuse
- 80% of students drink alcohol
- 40% engage in binge drinking
- 20% meet the symptoms of Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD)
Is the consumption of an excessive amount of alcohol in a short period of time, typically within two hours: 5 drinks for men and 4 drinks for women.
Health Effects of Binge Drinking
- Memory Loss
- Neurological Damage
- Low Blood Sugar
- Liver Disease
- Nerve Damage
- 1,800 students die from alcohol-related causes
- 97,000+ sexual assaults on college campuses are linked to alcohol
- 1 in 4 students report academic consequences from drinking
- 696,000 students are assaulted by a student who is intoxicated
Sources: National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Center for Disease Control and Prevention, CollegeDrinkingPrevention.gov
If your loved one is struggling with alcoholism or drug addiction, we are here to help. Reach out to Mountainside by calling 888 833 4676.
Too Young to Die – A Look at the Silent Epidemic Killing Young Adults
Alcoholism kills, but why is alcohol killing more young people than every before?
5 Things I Learned From My Dad's Addiction to Alcohol
It may not seem like it right now, but things can end up "OK."