College Students & Alcohol Abuse
- 80% of students drink alcohol
- 40% engage in binge drinking
- 20% meet the symptoms of Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD)
Is the consumption of an excessive amount of alcohol in a short period of time, typically within two hours: 5 drinks for men and 4 drinks for women.
Health Effects of Binge Drinking
- Memory Loss
- Neurological Damage
- Low Blood Sugar
- Liver Disease
- Nerve Damage
- 1,800 students die from alcohol-related causes
- 97,000+ sexual assaults on college campuses are linked to alcohol
- 1 in 4 students report academic consequences from drinking
- 696,000 students are assaulted by a student who is intoxicated
Sources: National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Center for Disease Control and Prevention, CollegeDrinkingPrevention.gov
If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction, Mountainside can help.
Click here or call (888) 833-4676 to speak with one of our addiction treatment experts.