Emily was 16 when she walked into her neighborhood convenience store and purchased a small bag of synthetic marijuana. Shortly after smoking it, she began experiencing hallucinations and had to be rushed to the hospital.
In the case of a drug overdose, as with many medical emergencies, a matter of minutes can make all the difference between life and death. Yet, many people delay calling 911, or sometimes don’t call at all. And it’s not just drug dealers or complete strangers who are hesitating to call ⎼ it is parents, friends, loved ones. It is the individual overdosing. Not because they don’t care, but because they’re afraid of the repercussions.